Thursday, May 30, 2013

maybe better if left alone - learning to use lightroom

Although I like editing, I am not always good at knowing when to hold back.  I really enjoy working in Lightroom, and exploring all the little tricks and tweaks to make your photos pop.  Sometimes I can get carried away...

Here is one of my first ever self-portraits, unedited.  Initially, I thought very little needed to be done.



Here's my edited version.  I cropped in a little, softened the skin on my arm, sharpened the image and played with the shadows at my back to emphasize the light coming in on the right.


I think I should have held back a little.  The vignetting feels too dark and heavy.

Here's the same edits, but without vignette.  Hmm.  Too flat?


I think I like this one the best, but I'm not sure.  Perhaps I should sleep on it and look again tomorrow.

UPDATE:  I went back and looked and decided to keep the dark vignette.  Sometimes it's good to sleep on it, sometimes it's good to trust your gut and just go all the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment