Friday, May 1, 2015

Photographing butterflies at the Desert Botanical Garden

Last month I visited the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix with some friends. It's one of the most beautiful places in the area. There are so many incredible plants and birds and critters to see, but by far my favorite part this visit was the Spring Butterfly Exhibit.

Pipevine Swallowtail Butterfly (Battus philenor)

Buckeye Butterfly (Junonia coenia)

As you walk into a lush, tropical and colorful tented area you see the exhibit is chock FULL of these amazing winged creatures. They are very fast and I was ill-prepared to take photos, but I did my best with my limited camera equipment.

Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae)

Pipevine Swallowtail Butterfly (Battus philenor)

All of these photos were taken with my Nikon D3100 and a 50mm f/1.4 lens (my favorite) and I think it did a pretty good job!  However, I'm still looking forward to the purchase of some new equipment in the near future that I've been scrimping and saving for.  UPDATE: I am very happy and excited to announce that I have finally upgraded my camera to a full-frame - it was part of my birthday present this year! Yay birthdays! 

Julia Butterfly (Dryas iulia)

Julia Butterfly (Dryas iulia)

Buckeye Butterfly (Junonia coenia)

Luna Moths mating! (Actias luna)

 I love macro photography.  I could have stayed in there all day. It was so peaceful and lovely to watch these gentle creatures flit about and glide through the air.  Ahhh, nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment